Thursday 29 December 2011

What I had

I had pneumonia - which is a rather catch-all term. I may have had it for some time as I had not been well for a couple of weeks.

It all got worse - I breathed in part of a calcium tablet on Sunday (20th Nov). I did eventually ring 999 on Monday morning (21st - about 4-00 am) because I could not breath.

I was treated for aspiration pneumonia - which is an inflammation of lungs and airways due to breathing in foreign material. I was treated with high flow oxygen support, antibiotcs and steriods. I felt out of it and my memory of the first week is hazy, even if I spoke and wrote letters! Treatment was gentle and I very slowly improved. I think I came very close to death - it felt so and several people hinted as much  - - - .

Eventually I went into a normal ward and gradually got weaned off the oxygen support and each day got a small bit better. But I was in hospital for nearly five weeks. I think I left on the right day as I could just function OK at home.

I am now at home. I am reducing the dose of steriod very gradually. I think the recovery period is going to be long - months even. The worse you get with pneumonia - the longer it takes - apparently. Until now I have sat around, had a lot of sleep and managed to eat nice food. Getting netbook back on line is an improvement - I am watching for the onset of boredom.

1 comment:

meemee said...

So glad to hear you're on the mend. Take it easy, don't try to do stuff before you should (but I know you will)! I wrote a Xmas card to you then realised I don't have your address, or rather have lost it, along with your email address. So although Xmas no longer seems important, I can say all the best for 2012, it's going to be a hard year for you, but once you are well enough, full I hope of nice things! X